The first clash of the Premier league season between champions Chelsea and title challengers Liverpool is one to savour this November. Both clubs have made a solid start to the campaign and sit in 4th and 5th respectively with just 3 points separating the pair. The game is made even more important in the fact they are both trailing run away leaders Manchester City by other 10 points already. With this being the case neither team can afford to drop points.
Both clubs are also looking like progressing to the knock out stage of the Champions league so will have a busy schedule ahead of them in the coming months. Continue reading
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has admitted that both Manchester City and Manchester United are in good shape to challenge for the Premier League crown this term.
The Mancunian pair are currently tied on points at the top of the table, having gone unbeaten with identical records.
Prior to the Reds’ League Cup against Leicester City, Klopp was asked to comment on the superb starts made by United and City, for which he said: “I watched United and City, but it’s not my job to count points. They are in a good shape but a season is like this. As long as your attitude is right then you do not need to look at other teams. It’s not a surprise that City and United are in [the title race]. I cannot always say what everybody wants to hear.‘If I am fine with a lot of things then I say it and a lot of people do not want to hear it.” Continue reading
Newcastle United favourite Kevin Keegan feels Jurgen Klopp is still the right man to manage Liverpool.
The German head coach endured a tough month of September with his side winning just one game in seven across all competitions. As a result, the 50-year-old is under pressure to perform when the Reds take on rivals Manchester United in next Saturday’s league meeting.
Speaking at an Aspire Academy event, Keegan, who won three league titles and one European Cup as a Liverpool player, feels his former side should keep patience with the German manager, he said: “I think he’s a great manager. He fits Liverpool, he gets Liverpool. There are a lot of teams in the Premier League struggling in defence. All the rules have been changed to suit attackers — yellow cards, red cards. It’s no fun being a defender. If a defender misses three tackles he’s off so it’s no wonder they are cautious. I don’t think Manchester City, Manchester United or Chelsea are great defensively. It’s not just a Liverpool problem. I hope they have patience with him if it doesn’t actually go quite right because he is the right guy.” Continue reading
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has claimed that Nathaniel Clyne will be unavailable for a second period after having suffered a serious injury.
The back injury suffered by the player appears to be serious than initially thought. As a result, he was left out of the Champions League squad announced by the club. Liverpool made the return to the European competition often overcoming Hoffenheim in a two legged qualifying match. The squad for the group stages has just been announced and one of the prominent absentees was former Norwich city defender.
The 26-year-old played only 45 minutes during pre-season and has not been seen since then. It is expected that the back problem suffered by the player is likely to keep him on the sidelines for the next three months. Rather than fill the spot with a player who cannot play for the next three months, Liverpool have decided to go for a different option. However, there is little doubt that Nathaniel Clyne will be able to reclaim his squad when he meets the return to the first-team. Manager Jurgen Klopp has received a lot of plaudits for the way has transformed Liverpool in the last 12 months. Continue reading
Former Liverpool-striker-turned-pundit Dean Saunders has urged Liverpool to cash in on Philippe Coutinho, should they receive an offer in excess of £100 for the playmaker.
The Brazil international has been strongly linked with a move to Barcelona in recent days amid the uncertainty over the future of Neymar, who could be on the cusp of Paris Saint-Germain.
The French champions are apparently willing to match Neymar’s £195m release clause to lure him to Parc des Princes, and this has shifted the Catalan giants’ focus to compatriot Coutinho. Liverpool has repeatedly stressed that their star performer will not be sold this summer, but it is suggested that they would consider an offer of around £134m in order to part ways with the Brazilian.
Speaking to TalkSPORT, Saunders believes that Coutinho is replaceable unlike former Reds striker Luis Suarez, and the club should seek to sign one on Juan Mata, Gylfi Sigurdsson or Isco, all of whom will come at a fairly cheaper price, he said: “£100m sell him. For me, he’s replaceable. Continue reading
Liverpool have secured the signing of defender Andrew Robertson from Hull City for an initial fee of £8m.
The Scotland international has inked a long-term contract with the Merseyside giants and he will provide the necessary backup on the left side of the defence.
Reds boss Jurgen Klopp was overly dependent on James Milner to perform the makeshift left-back duties, and this stressed the need for a new signing with Alberto Moreno seemingly on his way out of Anfield.
Robertson, 23, played a fundamental role for the Tigers last season as they sought to preserve their Premier League status. However, their late effort came to no avail as a 4-0 thumping to Crystal Palace ensured that they would be heading back to the Championship for the second time in three seasons.
“It feels a bit surreal. There are not more special clubs than Liverpool. When you grow up as a kid you dream of playing with big clubs such as Liverpool and to make that a reality is a dream come true for me. I just want to prove to people that I can do it at this level, and hopefully I manage to do that this season and do good things for this club,” he told the club’s official website.
Meanwhil, Robertson’s move to Anfield benefit the Reds in one way as they managed to instantly recoup £4m from the sale of midfielder Kevin Stewart to Hull City. The Englishman could not quite establish himself as a regular at the centre of the park, and he will now revive his career in the second tier of English football.
Liverpool have been selective in the transfer market this summer after having also recruited the likes of Mohamed Salah and Dominic Solanke into their ranks – the latter the subject of a tribunal fee to be compensated to Chelsea.
Jürgen Klopp’s first full season in charge may have brought the Champions League qualification that the club – and the fans – craved but the question will now be how much further can this side go?
The club has already had a very busy summer on the transfer front with a couple of big potential transfers rumbling on while the arrival of Salah from Roma has increased expectations of a successful season to come. Continue reading
Nice left-back Dalbert has confirmed that Liverpool are one of the clubs to have enquired over his services during the current transfer window.
The Brazilian is still keen on pushing through a move to Inter Milan this summer.
The Brazilian was in good form for the Ligue 1 outfit last term as he helped them to third in the league standings which in turn guaranteed them a place in next season’s Champions League. A host of clubs including Liverpool have expressed an interest in his signature, but the 23-year-old admits that he has personally intervened in order to seal a switch to San Siro this summer.
Dalbert was quoted on L’Equipe: “More than ten European clubs contacted my agent; amongst them are Liverpool and Inter Milan. Inter made an undeniable offer for me and Nice and I think we will have a favourable outcome for all the parties. I am counting on the understanding of the leaders and it was a difficult decision, but I am sure when I say that I want a new project.” Continue reading
Liverpool legend-turned-pundit Steve Nicol feels that his former club are taking a huge risk on Mohamed Salah, who is likely to cost in excess of £40m.
The player’s representative was spotted in London earlier yesterday, and it is suggested that the deal is close to completion with the Reds likely to surrender to Roma’s demands.
Salah failed to make a significant impact during his previous Premier League spell with Chelsea, and Nicol insists that the Merseysiders are wasting their time on the player, who is unlikely to be a regular starter. The likes of Philippe Coutinho and Sadio Mane pick themselves in the starting line-up, and there is a doubt whether Salah would prop up through the middle – a position occupied regularly by Robert Firmino.
“It is a lot of money, yeah. It’s a lot of money for Liverpool to buy a player, who, if everybody is fit, I don’t think starts.You play Coutinho on the left, you play Mane on the right. I don’t think you play Salah through the middle that means he doesn’t start.As far as the squad, obviously Liverpool are in the Champions League yes, but for £40m? I don’t think so,” he told ESPN. Continue reading
Liverpool are reportedly plotting a last-ditch attempt to lure Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain to Anfield.
The England international had a top season with Arsenal last term as he contributed six assists and 11 goals en route to their FA Cup triumph. The 23-year-old initially started the campaign on the flanks, but he was later drifted into a central midfield role before taking up an unfamiliar wing-back position in the backend of the season.
Oxlade-Chamberlain has been a favourite among the Gunners faithful since his arrival from Southampton back in 2011, but he has not realised his full potential with Arsene Wenger opting to chop and change his attacking options. However, The Ox managed to prove his credentials during the recently concluded campaign as he showed a tireless work rate and the hunger to win games for the club. Continue reading