Borini rules out Liverpool move
Posted On June 27, 2012
Since his appointment earlier in the month, it appears Brendan Rodgers has been linked with almost every player he has ever worked with. One of these was former Swansea striker Fabio Borini, although a potential move for the 21-year-old was made dead in the water earlier this week after he completed a transfer to Roma. Borini now says that despite the speculation, he never even considered a move to Anfield.
Borini enjoyed a successful loan spell under Rodgers in the 2010/11 season, when Swansea gained promotion to the top flight. At that point, he was a Chelsea player, but it was soon revealed that he had signed a pre-contract agreement with Parma meaning that the Swans had missed out on the man who had helped them significantly in reaching the Premier League. Following on from a successful period at Parma, he then proceeded on loan to Roma, where his success in front of goal earned him a permanent move to La Maggica just several days ago. After Rodgers was appointed as Kenny Dalglish’s successor, it came as no surprise to see him linked with a move for the young striker after missing out on him in the past.
However, Borini has stated that a move to Anfield has never been on the cards. Following his permanent transfer to Roma, he said, “I am a Roma player. It’s not my business that there is talk about whether I go there [Liverpool] or stay. It doesn’t matter to me, I am Roma.”
The transfer rumours surrounding Anfield are continuously suggesting that Brendan Rodgers is in the hunt for attacking players. As well as the reports surrounding Borini, the Reds have also been linked with a move for Gylfi Sigurdsson. With the club seemingly missing out on both, it remains to be seen who Rodgers will turn to next.